Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Does God Answer Prayer?

John Sleadd
July 2007

In the middle of the night I awoke with a terrible stomach ache. I tossed and turned in bed, wondering if I was destined to bow before the porcelain throne in misery. Would I have to call in sick at work, which for me would mean organizing lessons plans for a substitute teacher? Oh, dread. I lay there with my mind churning right along with my gut. After a few minutes of sweeping nausea, I decided to pray about it. “Dear, Lord, please heal me.” Instantly I felt better. I rolled over, had a good night’s sleep and went to work the next day.

I wish prayer worked like that every time, but it doesn’t.
I’ve had many aches and pains that didn’t go away after a sincere prayer. Many people, for whom I have prayed for healing, have died or remained in long term sickness. My wife has suffered from fibromyalgia for nearly 15 years to date, despite my steady petitions for her restored health. I think that’s because God answers our prayers according to what He wants for our ultimate good and His ultimate glory.

There are three basic ways God answers prayer.
1) Yes
2) No
3) It Depends.

What would we expect a good father to do if his eight year old son wanted to drive the car? He could say “Yes, here are the keys,” but probably not. He might say “Yes, if you sit on my lap and steer. I’ll work the pedals.” He might say, “No, wait until you’re older. Then we’ll see.” He might say “No, you are never allowed to drive this car because it is a company vehicle with restrictions.” A good father knows when to give good gifts and when to withhold them.

So it is with our Heavenly Father, whom we are able to trust with all our needs. “And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us.” (1John 5:14)

I hope that you have experienced the blessing of a positively answered prayer. If so, write me about it. For my next post I’ll be talking more about what prayer is and how to put power into it. I’ll give you a hint until then: Ask for more of the Holy Spirit.

“And I tell you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will instead of a fish give him a serpent; or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!" “ (Luke 11:9-13)

John