Saturday, July 21, 2007

What Is Prayer?


What exactly is prayer?
Prayer is a circuit of conversation with God. It includes our speaking, in faith, back to God about Himself and about our needs. When we read the Bible, the Holy Spirit illuminates the Scriptures to our understanding, and we return words of praise, thanksgiving, confession and petition to God. What a great blessing and responsibility it is!

Picture a simple electrical circuit with a battery, a light bulb, and a dimmer switch, all wired together. As power flows through the system it is regulated by the strength of the source, the setting of the switch and the capacity of the bulb.

Prayer is kind of like that. God has designed a conduit through which the power and glory of His Word flows, according to His sovereign will and purposes. Now imagine that believers are light bulbs in the circuit, placed there by God to give light to the world. The more grace and power we receive, the more light we display. Jesus tells us to let our light shine before others, so that they may see our good works and give glory to our Father who is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16)

Why do we pray?
We pray in order to glorify God by our dependence on Him. We pray because we are desperately needy of God's great mercy and grace. “If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land.” (2 Chronicles 7:14)

How should we pray?
We each have a personal relationship with God, yet we are also members of the Body of Christ, the Church. Our spiritual lives should therefore not be individualistic, or independent from other members of God’s household of faith. We should also pray in a manner that glorifies God, not babbling or chanting, but offering our prayers to God in faith, knowing that He is aware of our needs in advance. Our Lord told His disciples to pray like this: "Our Father in heaven hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil." (Matthew 6:9-13)
We should pray privately, corporately, humbly, confidently, cheerfully, tearfully,and regularly. “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you. Do not quench the Spirit.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-19)

The Westminster Larger Catechism on prayer.
Question 178: What is prayer?
Answer: Prayer is an offering up of our desires unto God, in the name of Christ, by the help of his Spirit; with confession of our sins, and thankful acknowledgment of his mercies.
The power of prayer should not be underestimated.

Question 185: How are we to pray.?
Answer: We are to pray with an awful apprehension of the majesty of God, and deep sense of our own unworthiness, necessities, and sins; with penitent, thankful, and enlarged hearts; with understanding, faith, sincerity, fervency, love, and perseverance, waiting upon him, with humble submission to his will.

A Practical Way To Pray
Over the years I have found that my attitude and focus is much better when I begin my day with Bible study and prayer. It's important to read the Word and pray the Word in order to live the Word. I try to devote time each morning to Bible reading, journaling, and prayer. The simple acrostic below helps me to stay organized.

P raise, thank
R epent, confess
A sk for needs (others first)
Y ield, submit, obey
E xpand, encourage, evangelize
R ecruit, replicate, reform

Since methods of prayer are as varied as God's people, it's important to find a time, a place, and a pattern for practicing powerful prayer that works best for you. Don't neglect to join with others in regular church fellowship to pray as well.

Our Responsibility To Pray
Have you ever promised to pray for someone, and then forget to follow through? I'm embarrassed to say that it has happened to me a lot. I had not considered that my negligence was a big deal until I read this Bible verse: "Moreover, as for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the LORD by ceasing to pray for you." (1 Samuel 12:23). Ouch! While I am no prophet, like Samuel, I am responsible to keep the promises I make. Now I try to keep a list of people and their prayer requests to help me be more faithful. This has really amped up my prayer life. The Lord calls us to faithfully pray for each other, for those in authority over us, and even for our enemies.

I want you to glance again at the diagram of the elelctrical circuit. Imagine that the switch is a dimmer switch, which controls the flow of power. Where would you set it? I hope it would be moved to full capacity. I challenge you to pray like your light depended on it.

May God bless you with the power of His presence.